Speech » Speech


What is a Speech-Language Pathologist?
A Speech-Language Pathologist, or SLP, works to "prevent, assess, diagnose, and treat speech, language, social communication, cognitive-communication, and swallowing disorders in children and adults." (Speech-Language Pathologistshttps://www.asha.org/Students/Employment-Settings-for-SLPs/)
Who do SLPs work with?
SLPs can work with people of all ages to address communication and swallowing disorders through evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of "speech, language,communication, and swallowing disorders." (Speech-Language Pathologistshttps://www.asha.org/Students/Speech-Language-Pathologists/) SLPs can also provide family/caregiver education and training to other professionals, as well as work collaboratively with other professionals from other disciplines. (Speech-Language Pathologistshttps://www.asha.org/Students/Speech-Language-Pathologists/)
Where can SLPs work?
SLPs can work in many different settings: Educational Settings including early intervention, preschool, K-12 schools, colleges and universities; Health Care Settings including hospitals, residential health care facilities, and nonresidential health care facilities; Private Practice; Corporate Settings; Local, State, and Federal Government Agencies; Public Health Departments; and Uniformed Services. (Employment Settings for SLPshttps://www.asha.org/Students/Employment-Settings-for-SLPs/)
What is a Speech-Language Pathologist's job in the K-12 school system?
A Speech-Language Pathologist screens, assesses, and provides therapy as needed for students that are educationally and socially impacted in the classroom environment due to difficulties in the areas of articulation/phonology, receptive and expressive language, voice, fluency, and pragmatics. (Speech-Language Pathologistshttps://www.asha.org/Students/Speech-Language-Pathologists/) SLPs also collaborate with other professionals within the school system to facilitate the academic, social, and communication needs of students in the educational environment. They also serve on intervention and planning committees, as well as write reports and create Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) when needed. (Employment Settings for SLPshttps://www.asha.org/Students/Employment-Settings-for-SLPs/)
Information listed above was taken from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Website. www.asha.org